Friday, January 1, 2016

Masterclass Icing and biscuit set review and gluten/dairy free biscuit recipe

My daughter very kindly bought me a new kitchen gizmo for my birthday. A 'Masterclass icing and biscuit set'.


It comes in a smart plastic box and looks jolly professional. I decided to try out making biscuits first. There's a good selection of piping nozzles and lots of biscuit discs.  It took me a couple of attempts to get a gluten and dairy free recipe that was the right consistency to pipe. If the mixture is too runny it doesn't hold the shape and if it is too dry it just falls apart. 

After making the dough (recipe at the end of this article) you need to fill up the tube by pressing it in with your fingers.


Then screw on the end piece with your choice of biscuit disc.


After this it's simply a matter of squeezing the trigger until it clicks, and out pops a biscuit. I find they form best if applied to a sheet of baking paper that has not been greased.



And here is my recipe:

1/2 cup dairy-free margarine (I use Vitalite)
1/4 cup coconut oil
1/2 cup raw cane sugar
1 tbsp coconut milk
1/2 tsp almond essence
1/4 tsp vanilla essence
1 cup brown rice flour
1/2 cup tapioca flour
1/2 cup corn flour
1/2 tsp baking powder

Cream sugar with fats. Stir in the rest and form together with your hands. Spoon into the tube. Pipe. Bake in a preheated oven at 180 degrees for 12 - 15 minutes.

I need to go off and practice icing next. :)

Tip - for cleaning the tube I suggest one of these:







6 comments:

  1. thanks so much for sharing! I'm vegan and have been craving for some sweet treats over the christmas period! Can't wait to try this out. Thank you! xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for popping in. Hope you enjoy them if you make some.

      Delete
  2. Oh wow how amazing does this biscuit set look - I love the flower ones

    Laura x

    ReplyDelete
  3. Ooh gosh, a biscuit gun. How very cool :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I do feel a bit 'James Bond in the kitchen' with it lol

      Delete