Saturday, June 20, 2015

About Arbi



I have mentioned before that my daughter and I are unable to eat potatoes. We have been eating eddoes as a substitute quite often. You can read about eddoes here: Eddoes - an alternative to potatoes.  However I cannot always get hold of them and I have found a few times that the stock in the shops, that do have them, is too old to be worth eating - you can tell because the eddoes feel too light (they should feel about as heavy as a comparable potato) and experience has taught me that when they are too light they are dry, powdery and unpleasant.

So I was very pleased when I stumbled upon another alternative in our local ethnic supermarket. They are a relative of eddoes, called Arbi, and they look like small, slightly hairy, new potaotes:



Unlike eddoes, which have to be par-boiled before you can peel off the tough outer skin, you can treat these pretty much like potatoes. They are particularly nice roasted, although they are smaller than I  would normally make roast potatoes. These took about half an hour to cook:








4 comments:

  1. Wow I've never heard of a substitute for potato before. I am glad you were able to find one tho! Being lactose intolerant myself I know how hard it can be to find replacements!

    Kirsty xx

    kirstyralph.co.uk

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yeah, I'm also gluten and dairy intolerant but the potato thing is a bit more unusual I think. Thanks for popping in to read.

      Delete
  2. I've never heard of this! It's nice to know there is other alternatives out there for potatoes although I couldn't imagine life without fries! xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I do have parsnip or sweet potato fries, but they're not really the same lol. Thanks for dropping in.

      Delete