Sunday, October 19, 2014

Review - Simplicity bias tape maker

My daughter bought me this last Christmas as I have a desire to learn to make my own bunting and want to be able to make my own tapes.


First you have to cut lengths of fabric, twice as wide as the bias tape you want to make. The gizmo came with one head but you can (and my daughter did) get extra heads to make different widths.

.
You then take your strip and clip it onto the spindle and wind it on by hand:


The tricky part is threading the end of the tap into the tape head. I find pushing it through with a blunt ended darning needle in the top slot to be easiest.


Then, once the machine is turned on and warmed up, which only takes a few minutes, it's a very simple matter to place the tap across the ironing plate, bob the top on and press a button.



It took me a couple of goes to get everything just right, but once you have got the hang of it, it makes tape making a real doddle - and it's fun!




4 comments:

  1. How awesome is this little gadget! I spend ages cutting out fabric and ironing over the edges to make bias tape - this thing would save so much time!

    ReplyDelete
  2. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  3. This is so cool, I did not even think about making my own tape. Such a handy gadget you gat

    ReplyDelete