Saturday, August 2, 2014

Review - I love this Mason Cash Pestle and Mortar!

I bought myself a pestle and mortar years ago. A cheap little marble one from a supermarket. It has driven me nuts for years. It was too small - the spices kept jumping out. I could never grind them well enough. It felt fiddly and annoying. So I finally invested in a decent one recently from Mason Cash.

This one is made of unglazed stonewear (glazed on the outside for ease of cleaning) and costs around £12 for the medium which seems a perfect size to me. They do a smaller one at about a tenner and a larger one for about £14.

What can I say - I think it is a thing of absolute beauty. I could quite happily just look at it. The weight, feel, balance, everything about it screams quality and feels such a pleasure to use. Grinding spices is a joy now not an annoying chore. The pouring spout is great for accurately tipping the herbs/spices where you want them. I just love this kitchen item.



I have not been contacted in any way by Mason Cash - this is an honest opinion of an item I have bought myself.






22 comments:

  1. I've never owned a pestle and mortar can you believe it! I always resort to squashing under a big knife!
    This looks great and reasonably priced too x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm not adept enough to do it with a knife - I just know I'd make a mess.

      Delete
  2. My mum used to have the African traditional ones and we yet to find one that can replace that

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. ooh, I've never seen one, I'd be really interested to do so, I love anything that lives in the kitchen.

      Delete
  3. Oh I like it too.. such a handy little thing.:)

    ReplyDelete
  4. I have a pestle and mortor that I have never used! The shame! Yours looks lovely though! I shall take inspiration and start using mine!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Could use with one of these, I always end up using forks and stuff haha!
    Melissa x
    http://melissazia.co.uk

    ReplyDelete
  6. I totally get your point; it is a thing of beauty! Thanks for linking up with #WeekendBlogHop!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Glad it's not just me lol! Thank you. x

      Delete
  7. I have never owned a pestal & mortar but can see that one would do a really gpod job :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It really does. I do get excited about the simplest things if they are lovely and work lol.

      Delete
  8. I love using pestal & Mortar... very useful !

    ReplyDelete
  9. I love my pestal and mortar - we use ours so much.

    Dannii - www.hungryhealthyhappy.com

    ReplyDelete
  10. I picked up one of these beauties a few years ago in our local charity shop for 50 pence! it's fab for grinding toasted coriander and cumin seeds, but I use a giant wooden one for more substantial things (like pine nuts, cinnamon, cloves etc.) #triedtested

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Wow, 50p is a great bargain! This one does seem to be big enough for everything. :)

      Delete
  11. I think I need to get a pestle and mortar, would be so handy to have in the kitchen. Thanks for linking up with #TriedTested

    ReplyDelete