Wednesday, July 30, 2014

Recipe - Low Calorie Lettuce and Cabbage Soup

This is a very simple, very cheap, very low Calorie Recipe. And nice and light for a summer lunch.

Ingredients

4 handfuls of lettuce, roughly chopped
1 handful of cabbage, finely chopped
1 tablespoon chopped chives
300 ml vegetable stock ( I make mine with Marigold Organic Gluten Free Bouillon Powder)
Salt and Black Pepper to taste

Notes: You can use any variety of lettuce and cabbage, this is a great way to use up salad that is starting to be past its best. The cabbage needs to be chopped as finely as you can so that it will cook almost as quickly as the lettuce.
Put the cabbage and 2 handfuls of the lettuce into a pan and pour on the stock. Add the chives and season. Bring to the boil and simmer for 10 minutes. Remove from the heat and blitz with a stick blender (or pour into a jug blender and blitz in there - allowing it to cool to a suitable temperature for your blender if necessary). Return to the pan and add the remaining lettuce and cook for another 10 minutes.
I like to have the texture of some 'unblitzed' leaves in my soup but if you prefer to have your soup all the same consistency then just add all the lettuce at the beginning.

Serves 1 generously (but the calories are so low you can afford to be generous!)






16 comments:

  1. This sounds super easy to make! I'm trying to slim down for my holiday so this is definitely on the cards!
    Love Lucinda xx
    http;//thefashionfictionary.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It is very easy, very cheap, and very good for slimming. Thanks for reading. x

      Delete
  2. mmm i bet this is so lovely and warming! id love it if youd comment back http://www.amyelizabethfashion.com/2014/07/be-delicious-with-dkny.html xx

    ReplyDelete
  3. yummy!! sounds like an amazing combination, I am a big fan of cabbage :) might just try and make this.
    Melissa x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I love cabbage too - we may be in a minority though. ;P

      Delete
  4. I used to really enjoy cabbage soup until I ate too much of it on a stupid fad diet once :(

    Dannii - www.hungryhealthyhappy.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh dear, too much of anything can be pretty horrid. I remember hearing about the cabbage soup diet but I never tried it.

      Delete
  5. Sounds interesting.. I have never tried cooking lettuce.Will try it out.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I was surprised how nice it is cooked the first time I tried it. Great way to use it up so you don't waste some.

      Delete
  6. I love low calorie soup like this, it looks stunning. I usually ruin soup but putting too much salt in it though!

    Corinne x
    www.skinnedcartree.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I've done that a few times, especially if I have made stock with a stock cube and not realised how salty that was to start with.

      Delete
  7. This would be a great way of using up a glut of lettuce, sounds fab #recipeoftheweek

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Definitely. The lettuce in my garden is growing like crazy right now.

      Delete
  8. Lovely idea, and sounds so easy to make, too.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Mmm, I really like thin soups and this sounds lovely. Perfect for lunch. I just need to learn not to team it with huge chunks of bread with masses of butter. Thanks for sharing. Thanks so much for linking up with #recipeoftheweek. Sorry I was particularly slow getting over for this one. I've pinned it to my food board and a tweeted :)

    ReplyDelete