Saturday, June 14, 2014

Eddoes - an alternative to potatoes

My daughter and I are both intolerant to potatoes so we have been trying out some alternatives

This week we decided to try Eddoes, as they have them in Tesco quite often now.

They look like this:


To prepare them you need to boil them for about five mintues then let them cool before peeling them. I leave them on a sheet of kitchen roll as they can go a bit slimy if they don't dry out as they cool.  Once peeled you can treat them like potatoes. I tried them roasted first. They roasted a little bit quicker than potatoes, though they don't go quite the same colour as they are more a pure white to start with. They taste quite a lot like potato, but a rather waxy variety, so I decided that they were actually better mashed or boiled. My daughter however thought they were really good roasted.



8 comments:

  1. Are they a potato? I have never seen or heard of these before but I would love to try. I don't eat a lot of potato so if this is something similar I would give it a go. Thanks for sharing. Popping over from www.mummy2monkeys.co.uk

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. They are a tropical vegetable and very different to potato on the outside but once peeled pretty similar. If you buy some to try they should feel a similar weight to a potato when you pick them up.

      Delete
  2. this blog post was soooo helpful to me!! im allergic to potatos too! never found anyone else who shares the same problem! id love it if youd comment back http://amyelizabethfashion.blogspot.co.uk/2014/06/a-week-of-instagram-14.html xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. My daughter and I are both allergic to them and to various other things - including gluten - and have found a lot of the gluten free alternatives contain potato starch. bah. Check out cassava too - not as close to potatoes as eddoes but cassava crisps are pretty ok.

      Delete
  3. Gosh I've never even seen or heard of these before and wouldn't have known what to do with them. They definitely sound worth a try. I wonder how they compare to potatoes in terms of GI?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It has a low GI - Eddoes are also known as Tara root - I ought to have mentioned that in my blog - and I managed to find info on the GI listed under Taro root. Also full of lots of healthy vitamins and minerals.

      Delete
  4. Great tip about boiling THEN peeling.I'm going to make a West Indian root veg stew .

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ooh, that sounds lovely. I really like the sound of that.

      Delete