Wednesday, May 28, 2014

A'kin shampoo and shower gel

There are lots of natural products that I like and then there are some I love. A'kin Lemongrass natual shampoo has just become a definite favourite.

After a serious accident and illness I actually had most of my hair fall out. It has started to grow back but the condition of it is appalling while at the same time my scalp is quite greasy. I had abandoned all hope of having hair I could even bear to put my fingers through.

After using this shampoo my head feels so clean, my hair is so soft, and I feel that much more human. I only use quite a small amount. This doesn't produce loads of lather, but if you are a fan of natural shampoos you will know that lather doesn't necesserily mean cleaner - most supermarket shampoos are full of Sodium Lauryl Sulfate which makes masses of lather - but is a skin irritant and really not the best thing to clean your head or hair. There are lots of studies linking SLS to a whole host of health problems - have a google then make your own mind up. And if you don't think putting things on the outside of your body matters, think about drug patches, nicotine patches etc...

Ok, back on topic, off my soap (shampoo) box!  The shampoo has a lovely natural fresh citrussy smell, feels great, makes my hair squeaky clean, but soft, and I really do rate it. It costs about £8-9 a bottle which is outside my price range for everyday use but is definately on my treat list.




So of course I had very high hopes for the A'kin lavender body wash. Well. I'm not  as keen on the scent of lavendar as I am on the lemongrass but that's just personal preferance. It smells like lavendar which is ok. It does the job in the shower, in so much as it makes me feel clean and doesn't irritate my, very sensitive, skin. It's O.K. But at about a tenner for 225ml I rather wanted it to be more than OK.  I like to be quite generous with bodywash so it's not going to last me very long either. I wouldn't turn my nose up at it if I got some more as a pressie but I don't feel it is something I would buy very often.

Verdict - the body wash is OK but pricey. The shampoo is fabulous.

5 comments:

  1. I love lavender and lemongrass, they are eey calming fragrances. I think I might check out Akin.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I agree, very relaxing. Hope you like it if you try it.

      Delete
  2. I'm not keen on lavender either, it makes me feel a bit queasy. Lemongrass though ... yum! I don't have hair (I shave it off), but still wash my "stubble" and head. This sounds like it would be lovely.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I used to think about shaving mine, but was never brave enough.

      Delete
  3. This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    ReplyDelete