Saturday, March 22, 2014

Learning to sew on a tight budget

I was lucky enough to find a pair of curtians at the charity shop for £2, good quality cotton. I reckon this must be one of  the cheapest ways to buy fabric for sewing practice.


I had it chopped up and under the sewing machine in no time.


Hours later, a few muttered oaths at times, I managed to make a usable, if not very tidy, needle case for my knitting and crochet. Really needs more work, so will keep trying to  get it just right before sharing how it's done. I'm still working it out. I may end up making a fair few!


I have also started chopping up old clothes to make things out of for more practice.  Old  pyjamas became a box liner
This one is easy to do:
Cut up into pieces to match the base and four sides of the box and add a bit for sewing edges and hems. Sew the four sides to the base:



Then simply join up the sides and hem around the top:



And another one made from an old shirt:


I'm sure there will be many of you who are WAY better at sewing than this, but for anyone like  myself who has never learned and wishes they had I highly reccomend you get stuck in. Although the sewing machine and other equipment were investments (pressies actually) it's often possible to pick these up second hand and there really is lots you can do with scraps and charity finds. I think. I hope. I'll get back to you .....






No comments:

Post a Comment