Friday, November 15, 2013

Recipe - mushroom and cashew roast

6 medium button mushrooms - cleaned and sliced
1 tblspn olive oil
1 tsp dried mixed herbs
1/2  tsp dried sage
1 cup cashews
1 small slice bread - I use gluten free
1/2 tablesppon tamari
1 egg
1 tablespoon chopped parsley

Saute the mushrooms with the dried herbs, in the oil,  and allow to cool.  




Place nuts and slice of bread in food processor and whizz to roughly chopped. Add mushroom mixture and pulse a few times. Add egg, tamari, and parsley and pulse till blended.  





Press into an oven-proof dish and bake at 180C / gas 4 for 20-30 mins until crispy on top but still moist underneath. 




 Serves 3-4. I like it with veg and gravy or a salad.

If you have no food processor cut the mushrooms more finely, chop the nuts with a  knife (or buy chopped nuts) , grate the slice of bread into crumbs and mix all together well in a large bowl.








6 comments:

  1. This looks delicious, I must try it! I've recently discovered Spelt bread, which is made with a different type of Gluten. Still hopeless for Coeliacs, but I find it easier to digest, I wonder how it would work with this recipe. x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I can't eat spelt personally, but I can't imagine it would be a problem. i've been making this recipe for years and have used many kinds of bread in the past and all were ok - it's just a bit of 'bulk' for the mixture really.

      Delete
  2. This sounds lovely, my son loves mushrooms and nuts so I think this would be a great addition to his dinner. Thanks for sharing!

    Fiona @ www.dollydowsie.com

    ReplyDelete
  3. This looks like stuffing. I bet it would be great as side to a roast dinner or alternative to meat.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It is somewhat similar to stuffing but the nuts obviously add a lot of protein so makes a great alternative to meat with the stuffing thrown in lol.

      Delete