Monday, May 27, 2013

Recipe - Reduced-sugar, gluten-free and dairy-free spiced cookies

Ingredients:
4oz (114g) brown rice flour
2 tsp mixed spice
1 tsp ground ginger
1 tsp gluten-free baking powder
3oz (85g) dairy-free margarine (plus extra for greasing)
1oz (28g) Truvia
3 1/2 oz (100g) raw cane or golden caster sugar
1 egg
2 tbsp non-dairy milk such as coconut milk or rice milk
5 oz (142g) gluten-free oats
3oz (85g) raisins

Mix the flour, spices and baking powder in a large bowl. One at a time, add the margarine, truvia, sugar, egg, and milk, beating until smooth with a wooden spoon.
Stir in the oats and raisins.
Chill for 1 hour.

Preheat oven to 180C/Gas Mark 4. Grease and lightly flour 2 baking sheets using a non-dairy fat and gluten-free flour.

Put tablespoons of the mixture onto the sheets and press down lightly. Bake for 12 minutes until golden brown then put onto a wire-rack to cool.

Makes about a dozen.






Check out great recipes from other bloggers with http://supergoldenbakes.blogspot.co.uk/2014/06/cook-blog-share-join-party.html


13 comments:

  1. Amazing recipe !
    I know a girl who is a vegan - gluten free and sugar free cook.
    At first I thought this was a joke and nothing could be achieved without the goodness of animal fat, sugars or all sorts and good old fashion flour.
    Did I have to eat my hat ?! She made the best "Pain d'Epice" I ever had and loads of other amazing goodies.
    The is another example of great achievement. Thanks for sharing

    ReplyDelete
  2. I really like to use oats in cookies - they're so much more filling and tasty - I've not tried oats and coconut together though! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I agree, oats are very satisfying. I love them.

      Delete
  3. Lovely recipe, my allergy baby could have those cookies! What is Truvia? Mel #RecipeoftheWeek

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you.

      It's a granulated sweetener made from the natural plant stevia. It looks like sugar and can be found near the sweeteners in supermarkers. You can also buy powdered Stevia from healthfood shops but it is bright green and has a very strong after taste, though it in its natural state. Both have zero calories and no negative affects on teeth.

      Delete
    2. The granlated truvia does have a sllight aftertaste which is why it is better used with spices and why I don't completely replace the sugar with it. The taste is sort of a bit like licorice.

      Delete
  4. Thanks for linking to #CookBlogShare. Please display the badge and a link back in order to participate - many thanks Lucy

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I will try to figure this out - sorry still very much learning with these blogging things

      Delete
    2. No problem! You copy the HTML code at the end of my post and paste it into the HTML of yours at the end of the post (edit in HTML). Alternatively download the badge from my post and place as a picture in your post with a link back to #CookBlogShare

      Delete
    3. Thank you again. HTML is a total mystery to me - so I hope I've done the alternative correctly. Love your blog by the way.

      Delete
  5. Gorgeous recipe, love this, so healthy, filling and tasty, perfect for breakfast on the go or a delicious snack. Thanks for linking up to #tastytuesdays

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you very much indeed. I love the #tastytuesdays linky. x

      Delete