Monday, May 6, 2013

Recipe - Flax Crackers

Probably one of the first recipes anyone who buys a dehydrator will make. A raw, healthy, gluten and dairy-free alternative to crackers. They taste great, nice and crunchy (I love them with hummous and raw spreads - recipes to come later) and cost pennies to make if you can find a cheap supply of seeds. I pay £2.29 for a whole kg but I do buy my health food supplies in bulk (more on that later too).  You can add a variety of other nuts and/or seeds and, if you have a juicer, can incorporate the veg pulp into your crackers. The important ingredient is the flax crackers as they go glutinous, which sticks everything together. You can season with all sorts of herbs and/or spices However, lets start with a very simple recipe:

I cup flax seeds
1/2 cup sesame seeds
1/2 cup cashews
sea salt and black pepper
water

Put the dry ingredients into a blender or food processor and whizz to break down the nuts and seeds. You can do this quite finely or leave it rougher depending on the texture you would like in your crackers.


Add enough water to make an easily spreadable mixture. Using a plastic spatula, scoop out dollops and spread into cracker-shaped pieces (whatever size you would like) onto paraflex sheets or baking paper.



Dehydrate for several hours, at about 40 degrees C, until they feel firm enough to peel off the backing then place straight onto the dehydrator trays and dehydrate until nice and crunchy. I usually do mine for about a day and a half to two days.



If you are thinking of buying a dehydrator, read my Stockli review here: Stockli dehydrator review

5 comments:

  1. This is a great idea a healthier adult version of rice crispy squares :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. These look and sound great :) Sound pretty easy to make too! x

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh this is interesting and sounds healthy too. I can't remember if I've tried anything with flax before to be honest, so I wouldn't mind giving this a go.

    xx donah

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you and I hope you enjoy if you try it.

      Delete